Thursday, January 24, 2008

Saw Till

Recently, I was re-arranging the shop - again, and finally moved my saw till down near my low bench where I do 95% of my sawing. Duh.

Anyway, I realized I didn't have a shot of the till - although I swear I took some when I made it a couple of years ago - so I took one. Here it is:



The main idea was simple - hold saws. But as usual, I made it a much more complicated project my adding "design" to it. I wanted the shape of the till to somehow reflect the contents (a concept I would revisit again later when I made my moulding plane shelves). I settled on a stylized version of the Disston handle and skew back.

And yes, the dovetails on the front rail are cross-grain and therefore "wrong". I can't remember if I was being a rebel ("Breakin' the law! Breakin' the law!") or just clueless. Regardless, it has held up fine, although it does open up a little in the winter. And of course I made it too small!

8 comments:

  1. Nice! I'm thinking about building one as well.... let's see - oh yeah! I need to find some saws first! Like the collection of saws you have, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. jo_jo-

    Thanks for the compliment!

    As for the saws, I got most of my saws on Ebay since there is almost nothing in the wild up here. I'd recommend not spending too much on any one saw, especially since some people's idea of "straight as an arrow" make me wonder if they have ever even seen an arrow. Of course, if you can actually get your hands on them, you can judge for yourself.

    Oh, and don't be afraid to learn how to sharpen them - it's not that hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the advice! I'm bidding on some now on e-bay, trying to start with a tenon and a dovetail saw first... Actually bidding on a few of each just in case.

    I'm also bidding on a couple of saw vices, so hopefully I can practice a little sharpening on my old Buck's Brothers beater. I tried clamping it to the side of the bench but you really need three or four hands for that! Anyways, thanks for the reply and advice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need one of these! While my saws are hanging all over the wall and sure fun to look at, this would free up some wall space for more tools! One question, what is it you are keeping on that lower shelf, I can't make it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shannon - More tools sounds good!
    The lower shelf is full of saw related accessories. There are four different saw sets, a jointing file, and several jointing combination tools for large crosscut saws.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dan. I've been looking for while and your Saw Till is the best I've seen. Care to share the dimensions?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dan... This is pretty cool. I am gonna try and make one like it. Probably use a wedged M and T joint for the front board that the saws rest on ??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks! The M$T should work fine, and look nice. I just pegged it...

    ReplyDelete

Comment Moderation has been turned on - too much spam! Bummer.

I will get an email notification and will approve any appropriate comments ASAP.