Thursday, May 20, 2010

Jamestown Joinery


More from our school trip back east. Here are a few pictures of the reproduction furniture at the Jamestown living-history museum in Virginia.



















It was fun to see the furniture in its actual setting (or close anyway). I'd like to know more about these. Who made them? How were they made? What were they based on? If I ever get back there I need to dig around a little and see if I can't find someone to answer these questions. Next time...


4 comments:

  1. Nice pics. I find myself more drawn to 17th century style furniture all the time. Too much reading Peter Follansbee's blog I guess. :)

    Jamie Bacon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shots Dan, thanks for sharing! One style of piece that I really loved from Jamestown when we were there were the simple, nailed up, six board chests (like the ones in several of your pics). While these were reproductions, it's incredible to see that the originals have survived for 300 years, even with their single wide board, cross grain construction. Goes against everything we're taught today about woodworking. Maybe we don't know more than our ancestors afterall :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie - Thanks! Yeah, Peter's blog is very inspirational. But every time I read it I am consumed by oak envy - not a one to be found in Alaska!

    Bob - You're welcome! I noticed those chests - on the ships too. I liked their forged hardware. I think the simple nailed construction has a lot to do with the originals making it. We tend to look down on nails and reach for the modern adhesives - which is where I think the trouble begins.

    We do know more than our ancestors - we just don't know better. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in awe of the beauty and the workmanship of these furniture pieces!

    ReplyDelete

Comment Moderation has been turned on - too much spam! Bummer.

I will get an email notification and will approve any appropriate comments ASAP.