Friday, November 28, 2008

Coffee Caddy


We resurrected our Friday coffee group at work and the Galoot Coffee Caddy has been pressed back into service! I made this last year when our group of four became a group of five. Besides accommodating more than the disposable cardboard carriers, it is reusable and much cooler!


This was a fun project with a surprising amount of joinery: dado, stop dado, half-lap, double mortise and tenon, and dovetails. The wood was some mystery "mahogany" which I think is some kind of Philippine or Luan type. I selected only the more dense of the boards as some was too spongy or "popcorny".


Here's the final dry fit:



And a series of the caddy being disassembled down to it's separate components:








After glue-up - first unfinished, and then with a coat of mineral oil:




A close-up of the dovetails. I just love the contrast between end grain and long grain after it has been oiled.



And final shot of the caddy alongside its mock-up. I don't usually do mock-ups, but since the sizing was critical, I wanted to make sure I got it right.



A fun project that makes me happy every Friday! Viva Caffeine!



7 comments:

  1. Beautiful and practical. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute project (and lovely dovetails!).
    Makes me wish I hadn't given up coffee. : (

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much cooler than cardboard...and greener ;).

    ReplyDelete
  4. um. I need one of these! Can you made one for sale?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that might be possible. Email me and we'll talk about it...

      Delete

Comment Moderation has been turned on - too much spam! Bummer.

I will get an email notification and will approve any appropriate comments ASAP.