Friday, January 1, 2010

Two Gifts From the Shop


The last post focused on process, so to keep things fair this post will be all about product. Okay, fairness has nothing to do with it really - I was just so pressed for time finishing these gifts before Christmas that I didn't take a single picture of making them. In fact, I didn't take a picture of Rebecca's frame at all, but she graciously took a picture of it hanging on her living room wall down in Oregon.

Here it is:


It's an Oxford frame, and very similar to the one I posted about in the past. There are two differences: this frame has angled rail ends; and the cross-lap joints where offset so that the stiles project slightly. And yes, that's more oak salvaged from the library chair.

The second project was a trivet for my wife Celena:


And a detail shot:


While I did enjoy the shop time spent making these gifts, on these projects the final product was what it was all about. Which makes sense, since these were gifts, the recipients didn't really benefit directly from the process.


5 comments:

  1. Love the picture frame - both the contrast of the woods and the construction. Thanks for sharing!

    Abi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, both projects look great, what's the trivet made of?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abi - I wish I could take credit for the contrast in the woods, but really it's just a slight variation in the wood which is somehow increased by the flash. In person it is not anywhere near that dramatic. The construction I can take credit for - Thanks!

    Woodshopbug - Thanks! The slats of the trivet are made from one chunk of 2x3 resawn into thirds. I think it was standard Hem-Fir from the Borg - although it was quarter sawn. The feet are some kind of pine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year, catching up on a lot of things since finishing the chairs and going north for Christmas. These gifts are really nice Dan, I really like the frame. Hope all is well your way. - Rick

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rick - Thanks! I hope all is well with you too!

    ReplyDelete

Comment Moderation has been turned on - too much spam! Bummer.

I will get an email notification and will approve any appropriate comments ASAP.